Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A month in photos...

Happy New Year to friends, family and visitors! I'm headed back to site today after a long month of training, traveling, and spending time in Bamako for the New Year. I am very excited to get back! Before I jump on my bike, I wanted to post some pictures from the last month so that you know what I've been up to.

Here is a picture of me and my homologue (work partner), on Seliba (Tabaski), which was held two days after Thanksgiving this year. It was a wonderful day full of greeting neighbors, giving blessings and eating sheep.

Here is another friend, Bayini, on Seliba as well:

Here is a picture of Oumou, myself and Tierno on Seliba. Oumou and Tierno are two of my best friends in village, and we danced together until late in the night on Seliba:


More of my friends and Malian family on

Again, the moon over Mali, though maybe not the best picture. I'll get another really good one some day.

Onto training - the first year volunteers all had 2.5 weeks of training at Tubaniso, and on one of the last days we had the opportunity to see Habib Koite play in Bamako. Here is Owen, me, Jess and John, waiting for Habib Koite to begin.

For Christmas, and the next several days afterward, I traveled with 15 other volunteers to Dogon Country for a 3-day hike. Here is Colleen and I after a delicious Christmas dinner (Thanks Sam):

There was a Dogon Festival going on in Sangha while we were there, and many of the women from the area came together to dance on Christmas day - this picture doesn't quite get across how beautiful it was:

On the hike - Mike, Marissa, Ali, Chris and Colleen:


The view from Sangha:


Down on the plains, just below Sangha:

Hiking through Yougadougourou:


On New Year's Day, there was a Hungover Hash Run which many of us participated in:


That's all for now, I'll try to write something more substantial for next time.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, a hash run!!! Did I ever tell you about how I tried to introduce the hash run concept to the Colfax High School Cross Country team? Maybe it would have been received better HAD I given them alcohol at the end, rather than popsicles... Gorgeous Seliba outfits!

    ReplyDelete