Monday, July 27, 2009

A couple of pictures

So, the results are in, I have amoebas and a bacterial infection! But, other than that, all is good.

My friend Matthew took some great pictures at our homestay, so I decided to post them here too. Here is a picture of the people at my homestay, from left to right on the bottom: me, Kristin, Matthew, John, Souleymane (Tomokan language instructor), and in the back: Diatrou (my Bambara language instructor), a bunch of kids from the village, and Jeremy. The only one who isn't in the picture is Nick, who took the picture. I'll just make a note that all of these people are really awesome people.



So, there is a bar about a half hour walk away from our homestay site, so we've met up there with the people from another homestay village a couple of times. Here's the first toast in Mali (around the table: Kristin, Justin, Andrew, John, Jeremy, Nick and me (Ali):


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for more photos! You are looking pretty good considering the infection and infestation (an amoeba- really???) I hope you are well in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ali! Great to get your updates, it looks like you are having amazing experiences already. Glad you like the Malians and other volunteers you will be working with, and good to hear your work will have an environmental component to it as well. Sorry you are sick, but you'll build up resistance to the local bacteria in no time - just eat more beans!

    We got your postcard a couple days ago, thanks for sending us one! :-)

    I think something went funny on your blog with the N be sho dun post, it appears blank, and the full blog isn't displaying quite right for me (but I read it through Reader somehow...)

    P.S. It is hotter in Seattle than Mali today! High of 100 degrees for the next two days - what's up with that?!? Thank goodness work has A.C. We're cooking Indian food for one of Benita's organization's houses tonight, so we'll really feel the heat then. Wish you were here to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali - my dear! I have enjoyed reading EVERY bit of your blog! Your descriptions are creating a perfect vision for me and I am sure many others. I hope you are doing well - and for that matter feeling well, my dear! I cannot help, but worry about your health and your fellow friends. I assume the immune system and digestive system both need some time to readjust... but if you can rest, hydrate, and take the chance on loosing fortune - by washing your hands... do it! I look forward to hearing your newest expereinces and wish you my very best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Update from the lab - as much as we hated QUCH in the field (how far away does Happy Camp seem to you right now!?), they are also creating havoc on the grinding machines. Those stupid leaves wont grind up!

    Thanks for the updates and pics- it is fun following your adventures in Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came from here out of the mists of cyberspace (well, Blogger linked me), but those are cool photos -- keep up the good work!

    James
    http://themunicipalmuse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete